MULTI-USE GAMES AREA (‘MUGA’)
In 2006 one of the original tennis courts was converted for use for football, basketball and cricket ‘nets’. It is usually referred to as ‘The MUGA’ – multi-use games area.
TENNIS COURTS & STATUE OF DOROTHY ROUND
Tennis courts have been a popular feature of Priory Park since its creation. Although one of the courts was converted for other uses a few years ago (The MUGA), the remaining courts have been refurbished and are in almost continuous use throughout the summer months. Indeed, some hardy souls can be seen using them when weather permits in early spring and late autumn.
Dorothy Round, who was Women’s Champion at Wimbledon in 1931 and 1934, came from Dudley, and was at School at Dudley Girls High School. To commemorate her achievements a fine statue of her was installed by the Tennis Courts in 2013. The statue was created by John McKenna.
CHILDREN’S PLAY AREA
The children’s play area was first introduced into the Park in the 1990s, but has been extended in recent years, and is very popular with younger children (and their parents!).
The Bowling Green was a feature of the Park until the 1960’s, but after that it fell into disrepair and for many years was just used as another area in which to play football. Happily it was restored to its original condition in 2013, and we are beginning to see it being used again in future in the way that it was in the 1960s.
5-A-SIDE FOOTBALL PITCH
During 2013 the 5-a-side football pitch was extended, and goalpost have been renewed and other improvements have been made.